Monday, May 11, 2020

God's Protection



One of the things you learn very quickly growing up on a farm is that when a cow gives birth to a baby calf it usually is in an open field. But if she wants her privacy and wants to protect her newborn she will have the baby in the dense woods. On several occasions it would be my job to find the mother and baby and bring them back to the barn. Usually after you find them and when the calf is cleaned up by the mother, you could just pick up the calf and walk back to the barn with mama following close behind.
  Two Stories - both true:
#1: We knew that a cow had given birth in the woods, but we just did not know where. I started to look for the baby and mother, but I could not find it anywhere. In frustration I yelled out "Where are you?" Just then I heard a blackbird or some other kind of birds say "Over here, Over Here!" I followed the sound and sure enough there was the mother and baby, safe and sound.

   #2: Once in a great while the baby calf will be stillborn. My dad, Steve and myself searched for the cow and calf and finally found them in the woods. Now the job was to get the mother back to the barn. But that was not so easy. The mother was very protective of her newborn, even though it was dead. We could not get near enough to get the calf. The mother began to charge us, throwing us to the ground and rolling us with her head for several feet. She rolled me at least once and then went after Steve. Now it was dad's turn to be protective. He stood between us and the cow and the cow rolled him several times. All I know is that dad was willing to step in between us and the cow and protect us. That was genuine love in action. To this day I do not remember how we eventually got the cow and dead calf back to the farm. I think dad may have hooked a chain on it and dragged it back to the barn with the tractor and the mother followed.

   What a comfort and encouragement to know that our Father, God will protect us and surround us with His love. With a Father's love He watches over us and keeps us safe day by day. When I think of my dad stepping in between us and the angry cow, that is exactly what Jesus did for us on the cross. He took our punishment so we could have everlasting life.  
                          THAT IS LOVE IN ACTION!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Mom and Food

 Yesterday, my mom would have been 100 years old. This brings back a lot of memories of mom over the years. One of the things that most peop...